I spent about a month on the actual concept of what the game is about, designing the
key characters and events
The most important tool at this point was a pencil and paper! But I did some digital
Once the design silhouette reads well I’d sign off on the process
Gameplay and core mechanics
Having nailed down the designs it was on to the core mechanics and game play. I spent
another 3/4 weeks on logic flows for each of the outlined events that can happen during
the game. Again this was done just using pen and paper and I can’t stress how critical
this was before writing a single line of scripts/code
OK.. because I gave careful attention to the previous steps this went fairly smoothly. I
found some annoying/silly limitations with the software but I found workarounds for
about 80% of them (hence my comments before about matching 80%)
I did make one costly mistake here: as I swapped in the real graphics for the proxies the
performance nose-dived. It wasn’t possible to accurately simulate the target devices so I
had to scale back the graphics/effects based on the physical devices I could get my
hands on – not a satisfactory solution but it was all I had.
Writing and adding the music was fun! I found it a great way to opening my mind to
finding lateral solutions
I didn’t realize it would be such a cathartic process creating a game: from concept to
Don’t get me wrong there were times I found it infuriating as I tried to navigate the
schism between my imagination and what the tools can actually achieve however the
finished product is indeed something that matches about 80% of my original concept
and is something I am proud of
I managed to create my first batch ahead of schedule..somehow!?
This series is all jewelry based and called the Geo Alpha Series. (Why that name – well
it just stuck in my head!)
As for the shapes I knew I wanted a heart motif to be part of the design and possibly the
dp logo. The rest of the design was kept open and fluidic 😉
For efficiency I try to model with symmetry modifiers.
Near the end of the design I’ll start to see how to model looks with a sub divided
modifier. I also use the measuring tool a lot to recheck dimensions.
Very important due to real world material constraints (minimum Wall thickness, minimum
wire thickness, etc)
The Geo Alpha Dewdrop design was the most complicated but the work went smoothly
as I planned most of it out beforehand.
After all the elements were present I applied a matrix modifier to get that nice teardrop
shape. I also extruded for thickness
Here are a few basic Renders from the Tea light project.
It comes in two pieces :
As always it a challenge balancing: the minimum material that you can use; material
constraints; stress areas; and make it look cool 🙂
The minimum hull thickness for the four ‘arms’ was tough but I managed it.
So.. How do you build a city?
I suppose you can do it brick by brick if you’ve got time and resources but what if you’re
just one person? Well you can do what I did and use a really cool Add-on for Blender
called Scene City to help you with that task
It doesn’t take too long to get the basic layout generated and after a few false starts I
started to get something that looked quite pleasing.
Blender and Cycles do a very good job with the rendering but I did have some problems
when exporting using FBX with the textures and materials. As a result I had to export
the OBJ to Cinema 4D then export from Cinema 4D as FBX. It was a minor fix and to be
honest I could have just used blender for the OBJ export – I probably will for my next
Ok I really like creating procedural materials (various advantages) however there are
times you just have to get your hands dirty with UV’ing and Texturing.
Below are the results of a hard surface texturing test in cinema 4D
I always wanted to design nice clothing: stylish; cool looking; desirable. so I sat down using Cinema 4D and (then later Blender) to design clothing that would be worthy of any catwalk in Paris, Milan or London.
After the 14th version I realized that I just wasn’t achieving that authentic look using either of the above applications.. not without a hell of a lot of tweaking which equated to time I didn’t have.
So I bit the bullet and said okay let’s see if there’s an app that specializes clothes
There was one that floated to the top of a very short list called Marvelous Designer. Below is the output of my first attempts to create a female dress suit using version five
As my knowledge and confidence grew (heck now that I knew what darts were – and
how to use them I was unstoppable!) I tried to add a design motif to the shirt and later
Here I am playing with texturing (using procedural materials designed in Cinema 4D)
the patterns. I found Marvelous Designer less than intuitive when it comes handling
UV’ing and texturing, so for future projects I’ll execute this phase in my 3D app which is
sometimes Blender and other times Cinema 4D.
Been playing with Cinema 4D’s Mograph module to create some motion graphics.
one point to note is that the wavy floor effect is controlled and ‘Driven’ by the intensity of
the search light’s Visibility Brightness value – was easy to set up
It’s actually fun to use effects on top of each other but I did learn the following along the
Keep geometry simple – to help with workspace speed
You don’t need that high a anti-aliasing setting if using sub frame motion blur
Going to use the ‘Make Preview – Hardware’ function a LOT more before rendering!
As with all my projects I learn a lot along the way, as I never know how I’m going solve
my sometimes crazy ideas 🙂